What is needed:

 

  1. Carbon fiber overlay - Ebay
  2. Billet aluminum trim rings - UPR Products
  3. Dremel w/cutting wheels and sanding wheel
  4. 3M Bumper and Trim Adhesive
  5. Permatex silicone
  6. Rags
  7. Small flathead screw driver
  8. Patience / steady hand :D

 

 

1.  I purchased the carbon fiber gage bezel from makotoautotrends.com off Ebay for $14.98.

They have a high quality / good looking bezel.  I believe you can buy from their online store here.

 

  1. I purchased the billet aluminum gage rings from UPR Products for $99 less 10% off for typing in “Happy New Year” in the promo code spot…. You can also type “stangnet” or “corral” and get some amount off.  A direct link is here.

  2.  Next step is to clean up the rings with some metal polish.  I used MAAS metal polish that can be found at grocery stores or online, but any should do to clean and put a protective coating on.

  3. Now comes the scary part.  Gluing the billet to the carbon.  I used 3m Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive that I had purchased at Wal-Mart a while back.  Seems to be really good stuff.  Mine is in a black tube, but I think the tubes are red now.

    Test fit the billet onto the carbon several times until you feel like your ready to take the big chance. 

    Then you simply have to put the adhesive on the backside of the billet and then as carefully as possible lay it onto the carbon.  There wont be much room for error, as the adhesive will show if you are far off.  I’m not sure what would get this stuff off if you screw up, but you might want to experiment if you have a shaky hand.

    NOTE:  There are some holes in the underside of the billet that could possibly be used to hold guide pins, but I found that even a small nail placed in the hole pushed it up to far for my liking.

  4. After the adhesive has dried (overnight for me), make sure the billet is secure (I was drunk and through mine around in the air…not recommended).  There will be some spaces where the billet didn’t adhere completely flat.  I believe this is due to the urethane coating on the carbon not being totally flat.  There was enough contact that it didn’t warrant concern…especially after the drunk test.

  5. Next, cut the lens off of the base.  Here is a link that will aid you in getting the gauges out if you haven’t done it before.  Click Me!  Follow steps 1 – 8 in the link to get them out and get the lens off.  Then reverse when you are done.

  6. Now is another tricky part and you need to take your time.  Using a dremel and a cutting wheel cut the lens straight down at the spots where you see the glue (it’s actually plastic welded, but looks like glue).  This is going to take a while.  Cut, check, cut and check until you think you are through. 

    After you have cut most of what you think is holding on the lens, use a small flathead screwdriver and very gently pry on the lens.  This will allow you to see where you need to cut further. 

    NOTE: Don’t pry very hard or the lens WILL crack and you will need to buy another and start over.

    Take your time and you will eventually get it off.

  7. Next step is to take the dremel and attach a sanding wheel to it.  You want to smooth off the various glue marks on the lens and cluster so that you can get a flat surface for a good bond when re-assembled.

  8. Now the fun part.  Test fit the carbon / billet into the cluster.  Now clean the interior with soap and water. Take a moment to clean the lens while you are at it.   After it’s good, dry and lint free, peel the 3M backing off of the carbon and apply it to the cluster.  Push it down all over.  Keep pushing for a few minutes until you are sure it’s firmly attached all over. 

    NOTE: Don’t forget to wipe the billet and carbon off with a rag to make sure all finger prints are off…it’s to late once the lens is back on for the corners, etc.

  9. Now it’s time to re-apply the lens.  I used the same 3M glue as I did to glue the billet to the carbon.  Now you will have lost some of the lens material, so it might not fit perfectly flat in all areas as before. That’s ok…just make sure there is enough to hold it on. 

    When dried, apply a bead of Permatex silicone around the edges of the lens.  I used the white tube with the clear.  It’s tacky in 15 minutes and dry in an hour.  This will not only help to hold it in place, but also keep the more dirt out than the factory application.  If you looked before you started cutting, you would have noticed areas around the lens that were exposed.  That’s probably why there is so much dirt on your gauges.  You are going to clean those before you’re done.

    Let that sit up for an hour or so (whatever the instructions say) and you should be ready to install.

  10. Clean the gauges off with some Windex and dry.

  11. Re-install the lens cover over the cluster.

  12. Re-install into the car.

  13. Enjoy!!!